This post is in reply to the following question received from a blog reader from US for doing MBBS/BDS from India under NRI quota. I m in 12th frm Baltimore-US and am thinking abt MBBS/BDS from India to save time and $$. I know only abt Manipal n wld b grateful if u cld name few other gud coll and procedure to get adm.
First I would list down top 10 private medical colleges in India for MBBS/BDS admissions under NRIs/ foreigners quota and then all about admission/ application procedure, fees, cultural issues, course approval and alternative options in Nepal/Ukraine and China.
Top Private Medical Colleges in India for NRI/International Quota
1) Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal and Mangalore Campus, http://www.manipal.edu/Pages/Welcome.aspx
Top ranked private medical colleges, 5th rank overall. Established in 1956 as first private medical college. Most expensive, top rankers choose manipal followed up by mangalore. The college receives about 750 applications and accepts about 70. The institute has recently started twinning program and its degree has approval of many US states. Check out 2010- 11 prospectus and fee structure (US$150,000 for entire course) for KMC at the NRI Quota page of this website.
2) SRMC (Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute)-Chennai
This deemed University has membership in Association of Indian Universities and is a Harvard Medical International Associated Institution. http://srmc.edu/
3) M.S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
This is one among the top private medical colleges in Bangalore, and too of Karnataka. http://www.msrmc.ac.in/
4) KIMS (Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science), Bangalore,
Christian Medical College Ludhiana
5) At this slot I would put 3 Bangalore colleges that are also popular amongst NRIs
St.Johns Medical College:http://www.stjohns.in/
Father Muller Medical College:http://www.fathermuller.com
JSS College- Mysore http://www.jssmedicalcollege.in/
Though above colleges are most preferred by NRIs, the below colleges also rank in top 10 private medical colleges
6) Dr B R Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore, http://www.bramc.org/
7) Amrita Institute of Medical Science (AIMS), Kochi Ernakulam: http://www.aimshospital.org/
‘8) At this slot I would put 5 Mumbai MBBS colleges that are hugely popular
KJ Somaiyya Medical College & Research Centre:http://www.somaiya.edu/Medical.htm
Dr. D Y Patil Medical College- Navi Mumbai and Kolhapur, MH: http://www.dypatil.in/
http://dypatil.in/grouplinkdetails.asp?groupid=60 ($30K per year)
Terna Medical College:http://www.terna.org
Bharati Vidyapeeth: Pune, New Mumbai, http://www.bharatividyapeeth.edu/
Mahatma Gandhi Missions (MGM) Medical College. Navi Mumbai, www.mgmuhs.com/
9)Other MBBS Options in Maharashtra
Maharshtra Institute of Medical education and Research, Medical college Pune, http://www.mitmimer.com/
Pravara Institute Of Medical Sciences.—> Ahmed Nagar, MH, pravara-medical-collge-ahmed-nagar-nri-form
10) One may consider following colleges if wish to do MBBS from north india
DMC (Dayanand Medical College)- Ludhiana, http://www.dmch.edu
Sharda Hospital, Greater Noida- http://www.sharda.ac.in/courses/mbbs-bds.html
Subharti Medical College, Meerut- http://www.subharti.org/admission.aspx
Mahatma Ghandhi College and Hospital, Jaipur- http://www.mgmch.org/college.htm
Admission Process: Foreign citizens, PIO card holders, OCI (Dual Citizens), NRI students and NRI sponsored students can apply under the Foreign/NRI category. 15% of the seats in private medical colleges in India are reserved for this category.
There is no transparent admission process except in KMC (Manipal/Mangalore) and SRMC Chennai. You shortlist few medical colleges, visit India, start talks with the admissions staff directly. If one cant visit the college personally, hire a broker (may charge Rs. 50k to 2 lacss without you knowing about it) as college admission staff hardly talks on phone. Since most of these colleges milk NRIs, they charge higher than set fees by the states by way of donation fee in cash without receipt. Therefore, even to initiate talks with admission staff, be ready to butter the palm of junior staff. A donation amount will be set. When the deal is done, proceed to pay the amount and you get a seat in the college. This is why its important to make a deal early (preferably in May/June than late July when rates are higher by about 5 lacs). Except Manipal and KIMS, most others like to take the entire course fee in advance.
Categories: Private Medical Colleges Tags: AIPMT, BDS, colleges, COMEDK, dayanand, donation, education, International Quota, jss college mysore, KIMS Bangalore, KMC Manipal, M.S. Ramaiah Bangalore, manipal, MBBS, mbbs fee, mumbai, nri, NRI QUOTA, Private Medical Colleges, pune, srmc chennai, top private medical colleges in india
There is an updated post on the topic at below link
There are 3 ways in which children of NRIs can be admitted to engg institutes in India. NRI students desirous of seeking MBBS admissions in medical colleges have only one way to get admitted- private medical colleges under NRI Quota (there is a separate post on this topic here) . Following discussions is useful for engineering admissions:
1) The DASA scheme for NRIs in NITs: Main criteria is that the NRI student has to study 2 years (11th and 12th) outside india, get SAT 2(Subject Tests) score above 1440 in physics, chemistry & Maths and pass 12th qualifying exam with min. 60% marks. More than 30 reputed NITs, IIIT and PEC are covered under this scheme. Annual fee is about $7000.
The details of DASA Scheme 2010-11 has been published by NIT-Surathkal and details are available at separate post link per below
The list of colleges/institutes under this scheme, number of seats/branches for each institute and the application form can be downloaded from DASA/NRI Quota . The admissions to IITs is not applicable under DASA Scheme or NRI Quota or any other scheme. The admissions to IIIT Hyd is conducted separately , also called DASA Scheme by IIIT-Hyd, for which the details are available here.
2) NRI Quota: The key criteria is that the student has to to pass 11 & 12 from outside india with min 60% marks. VIT, PSG College, Thapar Institute-Patiala, RV College, DAI-IT-Ghandinagar, VJTI and Manipal are some of the other reputed colleges with NRI Quota (However, the fee varies from $8000 to $11000 per year). For more information on NRI Quota, please visit DASA/NRI Quota section of this website.
3) NRI sponsored Quota: The key difference being the NRI sponsored student need not pass 11 & 12th from outside india. The sponsor (father/mother/brother/sister) should be an NRI as per IT rules. Many private colleges (including VIT-Vellore) have few seats under this scheme. NO NIT has this quota. Please see below list of prominent private Institutes with whom EdCIL has MOU and offer NRI Quota including NRI sponsored category. However, it is advisable to contact these institutes to confirm if they still have a valid MOU for NRI Quota. The annual fee for NRI Sponsored Quota can range between US$7000 (RV College Bangalore), VIT-Vellore ($9000) to US$9000 (Thapar -Patiala)
Now, list of NITs most preffered by NRIs (in the order of ranking under DASA scheme)
DTU, NIT-Surathkal, NIT-Trichy, NIT-Warangal, NIT-Calicut, IIIT-Delhi, PEC, MNNIT-Allahabad and IIIT-Allahabad are the most popular per previous years preference by NRIs/PIOs.
The above list is followed by NIT -Jaipur, MANIT-Bhopal, VNIT-Nagpur, NIT-Kuru, NIT-Rourkela, SVNIT-Surat, NIT-Durgapur and NIT Jalandhar.
Starting from 2010, DASA scheme merit list would be based on SAT II scores in Maths II, Physics and Chemistry. It would be prudent to score in excess of 730(out of 800) in each of the 3 subjects in SAT II to have any hope of getting the branch and college of your choice.
Categories: AIEEE/JEE Entrance, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, Engineering Colleges Tags: dasa, dasa 2009, dasa 2010, DASA COLLEGES, DASA SCHEME, dasa scheme for nri, DASA Scheme NRI, EDCIL, iiit allahabad, iiit hyderbad, iit, mnnit, nit calicut, nit nri quota, nit surathkal, nit trichy, nit warangal, nits, nri, NRI QUOTA, pec