Update: 7 JulyJune 2013
DASA Scheme 2013-14 Allotment List- 4th Round has been declared.
Update: 8 June 2013
DASA Scheme 2013-14 Allotment List- 2nd Round has been declared. Following are the cut-offs for few institutes
|DASA Scheme 2013: Actual SAT 2 Score (PCM) Cut-off (2nd List)|
|NIT-K (Surathkal)- 1st Round||2320||2370||2340||2280||NA||NA||2250||1940||NA||2170|
|NIT-T (Trichy)- 1st Round||2280||2330||2280||2220||1900||2130||1800||1810||NA|
|NIT- W (Warangal)||2140||2260||2120||2000||2030||1800|
Categories: AIEEE/JEE Entrance, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, Engineering Colleges, Entrance Exams, General NRI Affairs Tags: dasa, dasa 2012 admission, dasa admission 2012, dasa nitk, dasa nri 2012, dasa nri sat, dasa quota, dasa quota 2012, DASA SCHEME, dasa scheme 2012, dasa scheme for nri, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, DASA Scheme NRI, NIT, nitk, NRI QUOTA, nri seats, nri speaks, raj tyagi blog, raj tyagi blog on nri education, raj tyagi dasa, spdc scholarship
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on
Part- A General Questions about DASA
Part-B Academic Eligibility
Part-C Residential Eligibility
Part- D SAT Subject Tests (for Undergraduate Courses)
Part- E Fee Payment (for Undergraduate Courses)
Part- F Application Form Filling
Part- G Miscellaneous queries
Part-H Children of Indian Workers in Gulf Countries (CIWG)
Part- I: Real Life Queries (Choice-Fillng by CIWG etc)
1) What is DASA Scheme?
DASA stands for Direct Admission of Students Abroad. Under this scheme, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)/ Foreign Nationals/Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) are admitted to Undergraduate Courses in Engineering in National Institutes of Technology (NITs), IIITs and other premier Technical Institutions in India. DASA scheme is centrally coordinated by one of the NIT by rotation under HRD Ministry. Just for clarity, IITs are not covered under DASA Scheme.
2) Is there is any DASA-like scheme for medical (MBBS) admissions?
No. However, the NRIs/PIOs can get admissions to private medical colleges as about 15% seats are allocated for NRI admissions. Please refer following article for more info on medical admissions
3) What are the options in Govt/Private technical institutes other than DASA scheme administered by NIT-Surathkal for NRIs/PIOs?
It is to be noted that the following institutes have their own separate schemes for NRIs or International Students and the application for the same has to be completed on the respective Institute’s website:
IIIT-Hyd, BITS-Pilani (Pilani, Goa, Hyd camps), BIT-Mesra, Thapar Univ, VIT Vellore, DA-IICT Ahmedabad, COE-Pune, HBTI-Kanpur, MIT-Manipal, Nirma, COE Guindy, Amrita, SRM, MS Ramaiah, RV College, Jaypee Inst of IT.
So, if you have preference for a particular city, location or a private college, there are many other options for NRIs, other than DASA scheme.
4) Which are the most popular institutes under DASA scheme?
NIT-Trichy, NIT-Surathkal, DTU, NIT-Warangal, IIIT-Delhi, NSIT, NIT-Calicut, VNIT- Nagpur, SVNIT-Surat, MNNIT-Allahabad, IIIT-Allahabad, IIIT-Kancheepuram are the 12 most popular institutes per previous years preference by NRIs/PIOs. These are followed by NIT -Jaipur, NIT-Delhi, PEC, MANIT-Bhopal, NIT-Jamshedpur, NIT-Kuru, NIT-Rourkela, NIT-Goa, NIT-Durgapur and NIT Hamirpur.
5) Which are the most popular institutes for CSE?
- DTU=NITK=NITT=NITW=IIIT-D=NSIT (choose anyone depending on convenience)
- NIT Calicut=MNNIT (choose anyone depending on convenience)
- NIT-Kuru, NIT-Rourkela, NIT-Durgapur and NIT Jalandhar.
6) Which are the most popular institutes for ECE?
- IIIT-A= VNIT=MNNIT=NITC=DCE=NSIT=NITD
7) Which are the most popular institutes for Mech?
- MNNIT=NITC 4) MNIT=SVNIT=PEC
8) Which are the most popular institutes for Other Branches?
Please choose in the order of SAT2 Cut-off score for 2016-17 provided at the website. (higher SAT 2 cut-off being better institute). Generally,
9) Are NRIs eligible to compete to get merit seat (at normal resident fee) for Engg and Medical Colleges?
NRIs are fully eligible to give competitive exams like JEE-Main and JEE-Advance for engineering colleges and AIPMT/NEET for medical colleges and pay normal resident Indian fee if they qualify in the exam.
10) What shall be the basis of preparing Merit List for the scheme?
Merit list shall be prepared on the basis of SAT Subject Test (SAT II) aggregate scores of Maths Level 2, Physics and Chemistry. While a total score of 2400 in PCM would guarantee a seat in the preferred college and the branch, a minimum score of 1440 (60%). In case of a tie, the Date of Birthis used as tie-breaker where older applicant is favored
www.collegeboard.com is the official agency to administer SAT II tests.
11) Do I need to appear for SAT I (Aptitude Test) before SAT II (Subject Tests)
No. Only SAT II (Subject Tests) are required to be given for DASA.
12) What is the fee for DASA admissions
As of 2016, the fee per year is $8000. CIWG applicants (Children of Indian Workers in Gulf) need to pay about $1400 per year (equal to resident Indians on merit).
- Question : What is the minimum requirement to qualify for application?
Answer : Applicant must have passed the qualifying examination, i.e. Senior Secondary [10+2] or equivalent [See Appendix-I of Brochure] from any system of education as recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org).
- Question : What is the minimum requirement in +2 /qualifying examination?
Answer : A candidate should have a minimum of 60% aggregate (or 6.50 CGPA on a 10 point scale or equivalent) in the qualifying examination. The qualifying examination, shall include all subjects as mentioned in qualifying examination Mark sheet.
Categories: AIEEE/JEE Entrance, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, Engineering Colleges Tags: aieee 2012, dasa, dasa 2012 admission, DASA 2015, dasa 2015 nri, dasa admission 2012, dasa nit 2015, dasa nitk, dasa nri 2012, dasa nri sat, dasa quota, dasa quota 2012, DASA SCHEME, dasa scheme 2012, dasa scheme for nri, DASA Scheme NRI, NIT, nitk, NRI QUOTA, nri seats, nri speaks, raj tyagi blog, raj tyagi blog on nri education, raj tyagi dasa, spdc scholarship
There is an updated post on the topic at below link
There are 3 ways in which children of NRIs can be admitted to engg institutes in India. NRI students desirous of seeking MBBS admissions in medical colleges have only one way to get admitted- private medical colleges under NRI Quota (there is a separate post on this topic here) . Following discussions is useful for engineering admissions:
1) The DASA scheme for NRIs in NITs: Main criteria is that the NRI student has to study 2 years (11th and 12th) outside india, get SAT 2(Subject Tests) score above 1440 in physics, chemistry & Maths and pass 12th qualifying exam with min. 60% marks. More than 30 reputed NITs, IIIT and PEC are covered under this scheme. Annual fee is about $7000.
The details of DASA Scheme 2010-11 has been published by NIT-Surathkal and details are available at separate post link per below
The list of colleges/institutes under this scheme, number of seats/branches for each institute and the application form can be downloaded from DASA/NRI Quota . The admissions to IITs is not applicable under DASA Scheme or NRI Quota or any other scheme. The admissions to IIIT Hyd is conducted separately , also called DASA Scheme by IIIT-Hyd, for which the details are available here.
2) NRI Quota: The key criteria is that the student has to to pass 11 & 12 from outside india with min 60% marks. VIT, PSG College, Thapar Institute-Patiala, RV College, DAI-IT-Ghandinagar, VJTI and Manipal are some of the other reputed colleges with NRI Quota (However, the fee varies from $8000 to $11000 per year). For more information on NRI Quota, please visit DASA/NRI Quota section of this website.
3) NRI sponsored Quota: The key difference being the NRI sponsored student need not pass 11 & 12th from outside india. The sponsor (father/mother/brother/sister) should be an NRI as per IT rules. Many private colleges (including VIT-Vellore) have few seats under this scheme. NO NIT has this quota. Please see below list of prominent private Institutes with whom EdCIL has MOU and offer NRI Quota including NRI sponsored category. However, it is advisable to contact these institutes to confirm if they still have a valid MOU for NRI Quota. The annual fee for NRI Sponsored Quota can range between US$7000 (RV College Bangalore), VIT-Vellore ($9000) to US$9000 (Thapar -Patiala)
Now, list of NITs most preffered by NRIs (in the order of ranking under DASA scheme)
DTU, NIT-Surathkal, NIT-Trichy, NIT-Warangal, NIT-Calicut, IIIT-Delhi, PEC, MNNIT-Allahabad and IIIT-Allahabad are the most popular per previous years preference by NRIs/PIOs.
The above list is followed by NIT -Jaipur, MANIT-Bhopal, VNIT-Nagpur, NIT-Kuru, NIT-Rourkela, SVNIT-Surat, NIT-Durgapur and NIT Jalandhar.
Starting from 2010, DASA scheme merit list would be based on SAT II scores in Maths II, Physics and Chemistry. It would be prudent to score in excess of 730(out of 800) in each of the 3 subjects in SAT II to have any hope of getting the branch and college of your choice.
Categories: AIEEE/JEE Entrance, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, Engineering Colleges Tags: dasa, dasa 2009, dasa 2010, DASA COLLEGES, DASA SCHEME, dasa scheme for nri, DASA Scheme NRI, EDCIL, iiit allahabad, iiit hyderbad, iit, mnnit, nit calicut, nit nri quota, nit surathkal, nit trichy, nit warangal, nits, nri, NRI QUOTA, pec