Update: 7 JulyJune 2013
DASA Scheme 2013-14 Allotment List- 4th Round has been declared.
Update: 8 June 2013
DASA Scheme 2013-14 Allotment List- 2nd Round has been declared. Following are the cut-offs for few institutes
|DASA Scheme 2013: Actual SAT 2 Score (PCM) Cut-off (2nd List)|
|NIT-K (Surathkal)- 1st Round||2320||2370||2340||2280||NA||NA||2250||1940||NA||2170|
|NIT-T (Trichy)- 1st Round||2280||2330||2280||2220||1900||2130||1800||1810||NA|
|NIT- W (Warangal)||2140||2260||2120||2000||2030||1800|
Categories: AIEEE/JEE Entrance, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, Engineering Colleges, Entrance Exams, General NRI Affairs Tags: dasa, dasa 2012 admission, dasa admission 2012, dasa nitk, dasa nri 2012, dasa nri sat, dasa quota, dasa quota 2012, DASA SCHEME, dasa scheme 2012, dasa scheme for nri, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, DASA Scheme NRI, NIT, nitk, NRI QUOTA, nri seats, nri speaks, raj tyagi blog, raj tyagi blog on nri education, raj tyagi dasa, spdc scholarship
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on
Part- A General Questions about DASA
Part-B Academic Eligibility
Part-C Residential Eligibility
Part- D SAT Subject Tests (for Undergraduate Courses)
Part- E Fee Payment (for Undergraduate Courses)
Part- F Application Form Filling
Part- G Miscellaneous queries
Part-H Children of Indian Workers in Gulf Countries (CIWG)
Part- I: Real Life Queries (Choice-Fillng by CIWG etc)
1) What is DASA Scheme?
DASA stands for Direct Admission of Students Abroad. Under this scheme, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)/ Foreign Nationals/Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) are admitted to Undergraduate Courses in Engineering in National Institutes of Technology (NITs), IIITs and other premier Technical Institutions in India. DASA scheme is centrally coordinated by one of the NIT by rotation under HRD Ministry. Just for clarity, IITs are not covered under DASA Scheme.
2) Is there is any DASA-like scheme for medical (MBBS) admissions?
No. However, the NRIs/PIOs can get admissions to private medical colleges as about 15% seats are allocated for NRI admissions. Please refer following article for more info on medical admissions
3) What are the options in Govt/Private technical institutes other than DASA scheme administered by NIT-Surathkal for NRIs/PIOs?
It is to be noted that the following institutes have their own separate schemes for NRIs or International Students and the application for the same has to be completed on the respective Institute’s website:
IIIT-Hyd, BITS-Pilani (Pilani, Goa, Hyd camps), BIT-Mesra, Thapar Univ, VIT Vellore, DA-IICT Ahmedabad, COE-Pune, HBTI-Kanpur, MIT-Manipal, Nirma, COE Guindy, Amrita, SRM, MS Ramaiah, RV College, Jaypee Inst of IT.
So, if you have preference for a particular city, location or a private college, there are many other options for NRIs, other than DASA scheme.
4) Which are the most popular institutes under DASA scheme?
NIT-Trichy, NIT-Surathkal, DTU, NIT-Warangal, IIIT-Delhi, NSIT, NIT-Calicut, VNIT- Nagpur, SVNIT-Surat, MNNIT-Allahabad, IIIT-Allahabad, IIIT-Kancheepuram are the 12 most popular institutes per previous years preference by NRIs/PIOs. These are followed by NIT -Jaipur, NIT-Delhi, PEC, MANIT-Bhopal, NIT-Jamshedpur, NIT-Kuru, NIT-Rourkela, NIT-Goa, NIT-Durgapur and NIT Hamirpur.
5) Which are the most popular institutes for CSE?
- DTU=NITK=NITT=NITW=IIIT-D=NSIT (choose anyone depending on convenience)
- NIT Calicut=MNNIT (choose anyone depending on convenience)
- NIT-Kuru, NIT-Rourkela, NIT-Durgapur and NIT Jalandhar.
6) Which are the most popular institutes for ECE?
- IIIT-A= VNIT=MNNIT=NITC=DCE=NSIT=NITD
7) Which are the most popular institutes for Mech?
- MNNIT=NITC 4) MNIT=SVNIT=PEC
8) Which are the most popular institutes for Other Branches?
Please choose in the order of SAT2 Cut-off score for 2016-17 provided at the website. (higher SAT 2 cut-off being better institute). Generally,
9) Are NRIs eligible to compete to get merit seat (at normal resident fee) for Engg and Medical Colleges?
NRIs are fully eligible to give competitive exams like JEE-Main and JEE-Advance for engineering colleges and AIPMT/NEET for medical colleges and pay normal resident Indian fee if they qualify in the exam.
10) What shall be the basis of preparing Merit List for the scheme?
Merit list shall be prepared on the basis of SAT Subject Test (SAT II) aggregate scores of Maths Level 2, Physics and Chemistry. While a total score of 2400 in PCM would guarantee a seat in the preferred college and the branch, a minimum score of 1440 (60%). In case of a tie, the Date of Birthis used as tie-breaker where older applicant is favored
www.collegeboard.com is the official agency to administer SAT II tests.
11) Do I need to appear for SAT I (Aptitude Test) before SAT II (Subject Tests)
No. Only SAT II (Subject Tests) are required to be given for DASA.
12) What is the fee for DASA admissions
As of 2016, the fee per year is $8000. CIWG applicants (Children of Indian Workers in Gulf) need to pay about $1400 per year (equal to resident Indians on merit).
- Question : What is the minimum requirement to qualify for application?
Answer : Applicant must have passed the qualifying examination, i.e. Senior Secondary [10+2] or equivalent [See Appendix-I of Brochure] from any system of education as recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org).
- Question : What is the minimum requirement in +2 /qualifying examination?
Answer : A candidate should have a minimum of 60% aggregate (or 6.50 CGPA on a 10 point scale or equivalent) in the qualifying examination. The qualifying examination, shall include all subjects as mentioned in qualifying examination Mark sheet.
Categories: AIEEE/JEE Entrance, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, Engineering Colleges Tags: aieee 2012, dasa, dasa 2012 admission, DASA 2015, dasa 2015 nri, dasa admission 2012, dasa nit 2015, dasa nitk, dasa nri 2012, dasa nri sat, dasa quota, dasa quota 2012, DASA SCHEME, dasa scheme 2012, dasa scheme for nri, DASA Scheme NRI, NIT, nitk, NRI QUOTA, nri seats, nri speaks, raj tyagi blog, raj tyagi blog on nri education, raj tyagi dasa, spdc scholarship
Update: 2 July 2011
The minimum SAT2 score requirement of 1800 could be relaxed to 1440 during spot admission. Those applicants who have taken admissions in private colleges due to minm SAT2 score requirement have a big opportunity to get admissions to NITs as NIT brand is highly recognised in India and abroad.
Update: 1 July 2011
DASA-2011 1st Merit List has been declared today. Hearty Congratulations to all those who got their preferred branch and the college :).
Please find below the list
Following is the actual SAT2 Cut-off for various branches and colleges
The key highlights of DASA scheme merit list year are
1) Mechanical branch was the most popular branch going by the cut-offs, followed by ECE and CSE. Out of top 100 applicants, 33 opted for Mechanical, 21 for ECE and 25 for Computers.
2) NITK was the most popular college. Following is the number of DASA scheme toppers selecting this institute:8 out of 10, 15 out of 20, 34 out of 50 and 58 out of first 100 toppers selecting NITK.
3) NITK (58 out of top 100) was followed up by NIT-Trichy (18 toppers out of 100), NIT-W (8 out of 100) and PEC & NIT-C getting 7� toppers each out of 100 toppers. We have been consistent in giving this ranking� on this blog. Last year (2010), the break of college-wise preference of top 100 applicants was as following: NITK (37), NIT-T: 23, NIT-W:14, NIT-C: 10 and PEC:9.
Leaving aside cut-off scores, following is the break-up of applicants for DASA2011: NITK: 90 applicants, NIT-T:75, NIT-C: 65, NITW:62, PEC: 40, MNNIT-Allahabad: 31, SVNIT-Surat:23, MNIT-Jaipur: 20, VNIT-Nagpur: 15 applicants.
4) Due to steep fee hike in DASA scheme, less applicants have selected DASA scheme this year, many opting for other govt/private colleges. This is evident by number of students opting for DASA scheme has come down by about 15% in the category of those getting more than 1800 SAT2 score as compared to last year.
My apologies to all those parents/students whose querries I could not respond in last week due to minor injury I had on my wrist.
Update: 27 May 2011
Following is a new blog post on ranking of Indian engineering intitutes.� These rankings take care of various parameters (students, faculty, infra, placement etc).
Update: 31 Dec 10
As promised, we are publishing expected SAT2 score cut-off for DASA scheme 2011 admissions.� Obviously, these are only indicative SAT2 PCM cut-off figures and would depend on the relative performance and yet-to-be-decided preference by the individuals .� However, they could provide some clues on the available choices with the given scores.
We wish a very happy new year 2011 to all of our blog readers
Update:�17 Dec 2010
The NRI/Foreign Nationals desirous of getting admissions to Indian central engineering colleges (i.e NITs) under DASA scheme for the session 2011-12 should visit following official site periodically to keep track of any new information on the scheme
DASA scheme 2011:
DASA Scheme 2011 Guidelines/Procedure
The list of participating institutes and available seats in each institute is available� at the following link
DASA Scheme 2011- Participating NITs/Institutes and Seat Matrix
Update: 26 May 10
A new post has been added on the blog , specifically meant for DASA Scheme 2011, general discussion�on DASA scheme and SAT2 scores. http://nrispeaks.wordpress.com/2010/05/20/dasanri-engg-admissions-discussion/