“Is IIIT-H better than IITs in computer science?” is the most debated question in discussions whether online and off-line, especially when IIIT-H is in the news for some recognition or its students winning any national/ international coding contest. The answer, however, eludes those seeking for one desperately.
Before we try to compare IIIT-Hyd with other institutes, let’s first note some of the highlights of IIIT-Hyd which is not matched by its competitors in the field:
- Autonomous university set up as a not-for-profit Public Private Partnership (N-PPP) model
- Experienced faculty– Most number of PhD faculty in India in a CSE institute (total of 60+ faculty with PhDs)
- Research oriented academics: Offers research-led curricula even for undergraduate programs. As a result, students get to do a large number of projects and acquire deep research orientation and innovative mindset. If interested in doing MS or PhD in CSE field, best place to be.
- Very Strong Coding Culture: IIIT-Hyd students regularly shine in coding contests. The dominating portion of the most courses are coding assignments + lab tests as well as a few of them being totally based on programming & programming workshops (even for 1st year)
Only institute to have appeared four times in ACM-ICPC World Contest and securing highest ranking by any India institute. Almost every year there is a team from IIIT Hyderabad that qualifies for the ACM ICPC World Finals. Once there were two teams which qualified in a single year! IIIT Hyderabad won ACM ICPC South Asia regionals in consecutive years (Two other IIIT teams ranked 6th and 7th)
- Highly Ranked on Programming sites: There are many high ranked students solving problems on SPOJ and TopCoder programming sites. For many years, IIIT-Hyd was ranked no. 1 globally on SPOJ programming site
- Google Summer of Code. A total of 29 IIIT-Hyd students were selected in 2013 (second highest globally, top in India) to contribute towards open source assignments by Google.
- DataQuest Ranks IIIT-Hyd at 1st for Placement. 100% Placement. Av. salary for CSE: Rs 9.5 LPA. Off-shore: in Excess of $120K. Every year there are some 8-10 people hired by Google and Facebook.
- World class infrastructure
- Tech-Hub/Incubator: Houses India’s biggest Tech start-up Incubator
- Situated in the metro city of Hyderabad in a posh locality amongst IT biggies. Hyderabad is an emerging hub for IT start-ups and home for IT biggies (latest entrant Amazon, Facebook, TCS) because it offers 3 times of Bangalore’s instrstructure at one third cost. Hyderabad already is home for all major IT biggies like TCS, Wipro, Tech Mahindra, Accenture, Infosys, IBM, Google, Yahoo, iGate.
- Recommended as a premier research institution in India by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) for US graduate students to take up research fellowships and short-term research programs.
Categories: AIEEE/JEE Entrance, CBSE XII, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, Engineering Colleges Tags: COE, computer, computer engineering, cse, iiit hyderabad, IIIT-H, IIIT-H vs IITs, IIIT-Hyd, IIITH, iiith vs NIT vs BITs, Information Technology, International Institute of Information Technology, it
Why to Choose IIIT-Delhi for CSE?
This blog article is for those students who are passionate about CSE/IT branch but don’t expect to get CSE branch in any reputed IITs or IIIT Hyd. IIIT-Delhi is one of the best institute for CSE in India for its awsome faculty that boasts of 22 professors who have done their PhD overseas in the best of world renowned institutes.
If below criteria fit well with you, you have a right match in IIIT-D
1) If you are a knowledge-seeker and would try to achieve excellence in CSE field by learning from top class faculty that is available in India (US-style education)
2) If you plan to pursue MTech/MS in one of top international university
3) If you dream of working in one of the top international/Indian IT company
4) If you are looking for a institute that has good quality of infrastructure (labs, equipment) and good industry interface
5) If you don’t wish to waste first two years of college attending metal shop, chemistry practical, engg drawing while the main thing that excites you is computer –related topics.
6) If you value decent hostel facilities (with ACs) in a metro city and are willing to pay for it.
7) If you are willing to work REALLY hard to achieve your goals for life
Short Answer: Choose IIIT Delhi – CSE branch for a) excellent faculty, b) research opportunities, c) planning to do MS, d) to learn REAL computer engineering, e) very good placement, f) wish to seek good hostel facilities in a metro city.
In the Bollywood movie “3 Idiots”, Aamir Khan has given the most important life- lessons for all engineering aspirants:
“बच्चा , कामयाब होने के लिए नही, काबिल होने के लिए पढ़ो, कामयाबी झक मार के पीछे आएगी !
"Don't run behind success. Try to achieve excellence… success will come looking for you".
Categories: AIEEE/JEE Entrance, Dasa Scheme for NRIs, Engineering Colleges, Entrance Exams, Raj Tyagi Tags: COE, computer, computer engineering, cse, IIIT-D, IIIT-Delhi, IIITD, iiitd vs NIT vs BITs, Indraprastha, Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Information Technology, it